IslaTango is the premiere source of Argentine Tango in Hawaii. Offering lessons from internationally recognized tango maestro George Garcia. IslaTango was founded in 1997 and is now a solid tango community in the middle of the Pacific. George stars with Christy Coté in Dance Vision USA's highly acclaimed 20 DVD Argentine Tango Instructional Series. He has performed at the Tango Libertad Show in Tokyo and judged the competitions at the World Tango Festival in Tokyo in 2006 and 2007. George is a DVIDA National Examiner.
- Tango for Absolute Beginners: A four-week series that starts on the first Wednesday of each month. "If you can walk... you can learn to tango" with expert instruction from maestro George Garcia. Class meets on the first four Wednesdays of the month at 7:30-8:30pm with a 2-hour practice session included. See "Lessons" page for details.
- Would you like to take your tango to a higher level? George offers private coaching that gives immediate and long term results for both leader or follower. Learn out how to create that 'Lush Connection' that partners find irresistible.
- Visiting tango instructors - Past workshops with guest instructors throughout the years include Carlos Gavito y Marcela Duran, Hugo y Miriam, Jorge Torres, Graciela Gonzalez, Fabian Salas, Cecilia Gonzales, Christy Coté, Chelsea Eng, Evan Wallace y Michelle Badion, Felix Chavez, Alberto y Valorie, Daniel Trenner, Rebecca Shulman, Brigitte Winkler, Jean-Sebastien Rampazzi, Florencia Tacchetti, Jorge Nel Giraldo y Milena, Gloria and Claudio Otero, Felix Chavez, Emil Sansour y Nazan, Miguel Angel Pla, Julian Miller Ramil y Claudia Lissette, Susana Miller, Cacho Dante, Murat y Michelle, Marcelo Solis y Yanina Messina, Carlos Stasi and Susana Guevara, Julio Marino y Mirabai Deranja, Akiyoshi y Noriko Tanada, Mariana Ancarola y David Orly-Thompson, Facundo Posadas, Gustavo Benzecry-Saba & Maria Olivera, Fernanda & Guillermo...
Note: The Honolulu Club will be renovating from May 8th and re-opening on June 1st. During those weeks, classes and practicas will be held at the Al Franz Studio, 419 South Street, Honolulu, HI 96813. Unexpired TangoBucks will be honored until the end of May.
The current club management has closed operations one week ahead of schedule. There will not be a Thursday Intermediate Tango Class on May 9th.
Mark your Calendars...
Yulia Maluta of Los Angeles Tango Workshops in Honolulu
May 11th 5-9pm at Al Franz Studio
5:00-6:15pm - Embellishments & Technique for Women
6:30-7:45pm - Techniques on Effortless Boleos and Wraps
8:00-9:00pm - Musicality and Adornos
$25/workshop ~ $40/two workshops ~ $54/three workshops
Leaders Invited - $10/class, $25/all
Plus...women's tango shoes fo sale!
e-mail us for flyer
And for more dancing fun...
Salsa Styling Workshop
with Yulia Maluta of Los Angeles on Monday, May 13th 6:30-8:00pm. All levels!
Bring passion to your dancing! Communicate clearly with your partner. Develop essential partnership skills, Body Rhythm ~ Recognizing the beat and when to break ~ Arm Styling - Exchange of energy between partners ~ Technique and Embellishments -The Essential Patterns of Salsa for Men and Women
When: Monday, May 13th - 6:30 til 8:00pm
Where: Al Franz Studio, 419 South St.
Cost: $15 drop-in ($20 includes the Milonga)
Save the Dates!
IslaTango Summer Bootcamp: A Tango Vacation in Paradise!
Combine your holiday with our tango intensive training course
Basic Tango Bootcamp - July 8-22, 2013 ($180)
Intermediate Tango Bootcamp - July 15-27, 2013 ($180)
Three-Week Tango Addict Bootcamp - July 8-27, 2013 ($230)
Discounts for early registration or re-enlistment. PayPal accepted
Contact us for flyer and details
...If you can walk, you can learn to tango.
George Garcia's "Lush Connection" concepts - Mark Andersen, a fan from the Bay Area describes his own experience of the teachings of the Maestro at a workshop in San Francisco. George's concise explanation of the "Lush Embrace", posture, and axis differentiations of leader and follower, invitation, response inspired revelatory reactions of the entire class. more (Type in "4 Secrets" in the Archive Search box)
"Do's and Don'ts of Inviting and Accepting" by Ney Melo
What is the proper tango etiquette of asking someone to dance? Is there a method? Click here for a great article by Ney: |more|
Hot off the Press!
Hawaiii Public Radio interview about Argentine Tango on "Business of the Arts" with host Bob Sandla. Special guests on the show are musician and tango aficionado Miguel Rosenman and IslaTango's George Garcia.
The show airs twice: "Sunday February 27 at 6:00pm on FM 88.1
and again on Tuesday March 1st at 5:00pm on 89.3
Downloads are available after the airing at their website: http://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/talkshows
- One of the most complete and best produced series available
- A great way to review what George has taught in class
- George's best students use these DVDs to improve their skills
- Order directly online or see George for more information