IslaTango is the premiere source of Argentine Tango in Hawaii. Offering lessons from internationally recognized tango maestro George Garcia. IslaTango was founded in 1997 and Honolulu now has a solid tango community in the middle of the Pacific. George co-stars with Christy Coté in Dance Vision USA's highly acclaimed 24 DVD Argentine Tango Instructional Series - they are both DVIDA National Examiners. George has taught and performed at numerous tango festivals and events in the USA and abroad.
- Tango for Absolute Beginners: A four-week series that starts on the first Wednesday of each month. "If you can walk... you can learn to tango" with expert instruction from maestro George Garcia. Class meets on the first four Wednesdays of the month at 7:30-8:30pm with a 2-hour practice session included. See "Lessons" page for details.
- Would you like to take your tango to a higher level? George offers private coaching that gives immediate and long term results for both leader or follower. Learn out how to create that 'Lush Connection' that partners find irresistible.
- Visiting tango instructors - Past workshops with guest instructors throughout the years include Carlos Gavito y Marcela Duran, Hugo y Miriam, Jorge Torres, Graciela Gonzalez, Fabian Salas, Cecilia Gonzales, Christy Coté, Chelsea Eng, Evan Wallace y Michelle Badion, Felix Chavez, Alberto y Valorie, Daniel Trenner, Rebecca Shulman, Brigitte Winkler, Jean-Sebastien Rampazzi, Florencia Tacchetti, Jorge Nel Giraldo y Milena, Gloria and Claudio Otero, Felix Chavez, Emil Sansour y Nazan, Miguel Angel Pla, Julian Miller Ramil y Claudia Lissette, Susana Miller, Cacho Dante, Murat Erdemsel, Michelle Lamb, Marcelo Solis y Yanina Messina, Carlos Stasi and Susana Guevara, Julio Marino, Mirabai Deranja, Akiyoshi y Noriko Tanada, Mariana Ancarola, David Orly-Thompson, Facundo Posadas, Gustavo Benzecry-Saba & Maria Olivera, Fernanda & Guillermo, Irina Rees, Yulia Maluta, Hernan & Marina, and more to come...
Argentine Tango Bootcamp January 2017
IslaTango’s Argentine Tango Boot Camp, pioneered by George Garcia, is the most effective way to learn and retain the essential tango skills you need to survive and thrive at the Milongas of Buenos Aires. Find out how by joining us this month.
Beg/Intermediate Tango Bootcamp January 20, 21, 22
Instructed by George and Staff - No experience necessary
Fri 7:00-10:00pm: Fundamental Elements of Tango
Caminatas, Ochos - Forward/Backward, Molinete, the Cruzada
Sat 3:00-8:00pm: Common Sequences for the Salon
Walking figures with Forward Ochos, Back Ochos and Boleos
Sun 3:00-8:00pm - How to Survive at a Milonga/Tango Salon
Popular Figures of Tango, Milonga & Vals
Int/Advanced Tango Bootcamp January 27, 28, 29
Special guest instructor Noriko Tanada from Tokyo joins us for this camp.
Noriko is one of Japan’s finest and most experienced teachers.
Fri 7:00-10:00pm - Tango for the Salon
Caminatas, Giros, Paradas, Cortados
Sat 3:00-8:00pm - Dynamics, Musicality, Embellishments
How to move with the music and How to choose your moves
Sun 3:00-8:00pm - Special Sequences, Milonga & Vals
Special and favorite combinations of the teachers
$125/person - $220 per couple
$210/person for both weekends - $400/couple both weekends
Sign up at Honolulu Club by January 11th for a $15 early bird discount
Save the dates...
January 26, 27, 28, 2018
Hawaii Tango Marathon
A tango weekend in Honolulu
Special guests already confirmed are: Jorge Torres, Gabriel Misse, Hugo La Torre & Silvia Fonseca, Christy Coté, Akiyoshi & Noriko of Tokyo. Special DJs to be announced soon...
The locations are in progress but mark your calendars for January 26-28, 2018!
How We Teach...
Maestro George Garcia teaches solid fundamentals for the leader and follower by establishing a tango vocabulary for the student that combines the basic elements of the dance with a strong musical connection with the partner.
It is widely accepted all over the world that Argentine Tango to have several styles: Tango Salon (open-embrace), Milonguero-Close-Embrace: the prefered style of the dance halls in Buenos Aires and worldwide, and tango for perfoming on stage.
However, in my own observations, it is becoming more and more popular to perform tango in the style of the salon, bringing a realistic essence of tango to the majority of aficionado in the world.
Kudos to all tango professionals for sharing the reality of tango.
"...If you can walk, you can learn to tango"
A tango article - "Do's and Don'ts of Inviting and Accepting" by Ney Melo
What is the proper tango etiquette of asking someone to dance? Is there a method? Click here for a great article by Ney: |more|
- Four new videos released!
- One of the most complete and best produced series available
- A great way to review what George has taught in class
- George's best students use these DVDs to improve their skills
- Order directly online or see George for more information